Thursday, August 2, 2007

Striking a Pose

God continues to teach me things through my girls. The latest lesson came a couple days ago while we were praying before our evening meal. After I closed with "amen" our youngest (15 months old now) looks at us, throws her hands up in the air, and says "ta-da!" It was really cute. We all had a sweet laugh over the deal, and she squealed with glee taking in the extra attention she got, and it is becoming a little routine for her as she has repeated the performance a couple times since. I asked myself why she felt that moment was an appropriate response at the time- as if I could possibly understand the mind of a child. I asked myself where did she learn that as we have never taught that to her... or had we?

Those of you that know me the best, know that one spiritual discipline I long to improve on is my prayer life. Paul tells the Thessalonians to "pray without ceasing." That is the mark that I frequently miss, but I think sometimes when I am praying by habit and not a desire to commune with my Holy Father, sometimes I throw my hands up and proclaim to God, "ta-da! I did it God, I did my duty." And yet, that is a far cry from God's desire or what I need most desperately. If you are like me, you respond in the old familiar way, "but I am really busy right now in my life!" Unfortunately, (fortunately) God sent a cutting rebuke from a deal friend in the form of a quote from Martin Luther, "I have so much to do (today) that I should spend the first three hours in prayer."

Maybe you can join me in praying the following: "Father, your Word tells me that those who seek you find you. In those times I am most stressed and most busy, may I have the heart of your servant that would adjust my life to spend more time with you when I am intensely busy."

Here is a little resource I found that may help you set this up in your life. Click this link.

No comments: