Sunday, July 29, 2007

Religious Multiplicity

One of the most highly debated social issues recently is that of cloning. News began running when Dolly the sheep came on the scene. The more I think about this, the more I think I am in favor of this, and as a matter of fact that the Bible speaks favorably of this. Now, before you begin to inundate me with ethical arguments, hear me out. Paul is the first to speak of cloning sheep.

Listen to his words, "For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. For this reason I have sent to you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, and he will remind you of my ways which are in Christ, just as I teach everywhere in every church." (1 Corinthians 4:15-17)

On numerous occasions, our Lord Jesus refers to us affectionately as sheep. If you know anything about sheep is this no great complement. Sheep tend to be pretty think-headed and in need of a watchful eye lest they get themselves into trouble. We as sheep are called to be like our Shepherd. In essence, we are to imitate or "clone" Him, and then "clone" ourselves. If you have ever seen the hilarious movie "Multiplicity," you will know that the farther you get from the original, the less like the original. There are a couple of spiritual lessons here of which to take note. First, if we call ourselves Christians, then literally we are calling ourselves little "Christs." So, the closer we stay to the original, the more like the original we will be. Second, we are called to make disciples, so we must reproduce ourselves in others. We are all being cloned. This beckons the question, what are we being cloned into? What we are being cloned into, will be reproduced. So, what are you cloning and who is cloning you? How close are you to the original?

No comments: