Monday, August 20, 2007

You Just Never Know

There are a hand full of phrases both cliche and scripture that are used to illustrate God's sovereignty like "God works in mysterious ways," and Isaiah quoting God tells us that God ways are not like ours. Dealing with the unknown and unforeseeable future is probably one of the hardest things to face in the walk of faith. We make decisions based on our perception of what is to come, and many times events befall us that leave us shaking our heads wondering what God is doing. Although it is seldom enjoyable at the time, when our lives seemingly careen out of control we are left fearful and confused. All the while, God in His eternal omniscience has been in control all along. Sometimes, we are blessed with knowing how a turn of events in hindsight the reason for our plights. It may take weeks, months or even years to see what God has been doing. Other times, we may never fully know.

In my continuing study this morning through the life of Joseph, I read about his epiphany. Joseph, wise after decades of a litany of trials and hardships, tells his brothers what was really behind all the things that had been done to him. He explains that even though they had mistreated him, that it was all part of what God had intended for a greater purpose. "God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant in the earth, and to keep you alive by a great deliverance. Now, therefore, it was not you who sent me here, but God; and He has made me a father to Pharaoh and lord of all his household and ruler over all the land of Egypt." (Genesis 45:7-8)

A few months ago, having gone through a trying period of my life, once again I found myself "by coincidence" reading through the book of James. And I found myself reading, at just the right time, the verses in chapter 1 that instructs on dealing with trials of all kinds because they produce perseverance. Now this was a familiar verse to me, but one thing I zeroed in on that I hadn't before, the first part of that verse starts with "consider it pure joy." The more mature we are in Christ, we will adopt an attitude of considering the hard times "pure joy." Now while I have gotten to the point in my life where I can look back and see God's hand and the lessons He was teaching, I realized that I was not yet able to consider it pure joy. I believe that is our goal response, since it takes into account God's Love for us and that He desires the best for us. And when we experience those trials, remember that God's wants us to grow in perseverance and trust in Him. Thanks be to God who has been patient with me while I learn to adopt this attitude. I ain't there yet, and I know that He has many more things for me to learn. But because I have experienced His grace thus far, I know that He is more than worthy of my trust. You just never know what God has in store.

2 comments:

cookiehawk77 said...

"Consider it pure joy"? I like "Run away!" better.

Anonymous said...

In times of trials, we must acknowledge the true source of our comfort, our Lord. Paul was able to say 'Consider it pure joy' because he has experienced God's mercy in his life and able to understand His purpose on his life. Allow God to become the master craftsman in your life so that you can be a blessing to Him and His children. Your trials would only produce an enduring faith and will make you stronger.