Monday, August 6, 2007

Realigning Personal Identity

Today's post comes out of George Barna's book, Revolution. I do, however, totally resonate with what he said. As a matter of fact its content, although I read it this morning, I shared with the church yesterday and frequently. This is what he said,

"Let me also point out that a major reason why most local churches have little influence on the world is that their congregants do not experience this transformation in identity. Our research indicates that churchgoers are more likely to see themselves as Americans, consumers, professionals, parents, and unique individuals than zealous disciples of Jesus Christ. Until that self-image is re-oriented, churches will not have the capacity to change their world."

Making this change in my own thinking, was one of the most pivotal points in my life since my coming to Christ decades ago. What we do comes from our attitudes. You have heard it said, that attitude is everything? Well, we derive our attitude from making a conscious decision to hold to a mind set based on our identity. This is a mantra that you will hear from me again and again. If your identity is rooted in something that is temporary that can die, be stolen, leave or be lost in a moment, then you are asking for an identity crisis. Far too many end their lives prematurely because they have reached this same crisis. My identity is found in Christ alone. So my primary purpose in life is finding our more about who I am in Christ and aligning my behavior to be consistent with my identity. So the question remains. . .Who are you?

No comments: