Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Finding Favor

Big Tom is a new friend of mine. I have only known him for a few months, but he has quickly become one of my favorite people. He is a great story teller and an all round funny person with a huge heart for serving God and others. He has been a believer for only a few years, but God has truly transformed this man's life. His background, like many, is pretty rough, but the hand of God on this man's life is very evident. He recently was offered a new job. And while all new jobs have that honeymoon period before the reality sets in, this job seems to be a stark contrast to where he served the last few years. Not only did his compensation go up, but the work environment and his schedule has drastically changed and this has been a tremendous blessing from God.

Big Tom is a hard worker and always has been as I understand. From what I have personally observed, he can work most people under the table - as can his boys. I know that his ability to get things done definitely attributed to his new-found employment, but I also firmly believe there is more to it. You see Tom's life transformation took place at the core of his being. When he came to Christ, he was truly a model of what Paul talks about in Romans 12; Tom was transformed by the renewing of his mind. As a result, the way he thinks and consequently, the way acts is controlled by the Spirit of Christ in him. He understands where he came from, and so he has a truly humble attitude about himself. And as a result, I believe Tom got his new job, like the one I read about this morning, because Tom found favor with others.

As I was reading through the life of Joseph, one thing began to stand out to me. Joseph like Tom had a rough start. He was betrayed by his brothers and sold into slavery. But beginning in Genesis 39:2, we see a key thing that I think made a huge difference in Joseph's life. God was with Joseph. As a result, everything that Joseph touched went well. Even when he had been falsely accused and thrown into prison, we see that Joseph found favor in the eyes of those he served.

Now that does not mean, as I know that Tom can attest to, that everything is roses. I definitely do not fall into the camp of thought that just because you are a Christian that you have the right to wealth and riches, because I firmly believe that God uses the roughest times and trials in life to shape and develop our character. At those times, we are compelled to realize that we are not in control and consequently we must rely on God which is where He wants us to remain. It was obvious that Joseph's attitude and actions were affected by his trust in the Lord, and as a result people took notice. It is an Old Testament example of what Peter's charge to the church that I discussed in my sermon, "Living Out Loud." There are many other passages that teaches this same truth.

It causes me to ask, am I finding favor with those that I come in contact with because my actions have been affected by what I believe? This is contrasted by the seeking favor of men. I think Big Tom is an example of the way it should happen. He found favor in others because he was seeking after God. As a result God has blessed him. Congrats Big Tom!

No comments: