Thursday, May 31, 2007

Let it Go

Yesterday I got a surprise phone call from an old mentor of mine. This gentleman I had the privilege of crossing paths with first when I was a senior in high school and he was my sponsor at a state choir week, then almost a decade later when I was serving in my second staff position where wemet again and began meeting together regularly. I owe much of what I know about leading worship to this man. Our paths parted, and we kept in touch only on occasion-- I was usually the one doing the calling.

When I came to Mineral Wells after coming back into vocational ministry, I had reestablished contact with him several months ago which was only a few weeks before he suddenly left the staff position he had had for the past 16 months. During my last conversation with him, the wounds of a bad experience were still tender. My heart broke for him as I too had been burned before. That was 6 months ago. Since I was usually the one who called, when I heard from him, it actually shocked me.

He quickly regaled me of his last few months employed as a permanent substitute at a high school. He then told me he was interviewing for a position he felt confident about at a church in central Texas. As our conversation progressed, I quickly discerned that he was still bitter over his bad experience. Hanging up with him, my memory still echoes with the cutting remarks and names to which he attached to the pastor he served with in his previous position. I hurt for my former mentor, knowing that his pain is real. But even more so, I hurt that he has allowed the enemy to get a foothold in his life and that he is missing out on the joy of releasing someone who has sinned against him.

When we hate and choose to withhold forgiveness, we are hurting no one but ourselves. I watched my own mother stew in her seething hatred for those who wronged her. But the only thing that her bitterness did, I believe, was intensify her physical pain that she had in her last decade of life. Bitterness is a cancer that will eat you up. The sad thing is that those who wronged us usually are completely oblivious and unscathed by the wrath we pour out on them in our hearts. We have to let it go.

I walked through this process a couple years ago where I forgive someone who had wronged me and my family. Never negating what was done nor excusing it, I followed Paul's counsel of Roman 12:14-21. Christ himself said that we forfeit forgiveness of our own sin when we withhold forgiveness of those who wrong us. If you have been wronged, begin to pray for that person. Some people say, "I have forgiven, I just haven't forgotten." I once heard that the true test of forgiveness of your enemy is that you can pray for their blessings. This is amazingly hard to do, nay impossible-- apart from the strength of the Holy Spirit. But with God all things are possible. Let it go brothers and sisters! Be free!

1 comment:

cookiehawk77 said...

Lord, give me strength!