Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lessons, Part 3

Over recent years, if you know us, we have been in various jobs and homes-- too many in my opinion. I am sure most of you share the same sentiment. As a result of some the jobs that I had, I missed much of my oldest daughter early years. However, I have been present for much of Selah's life thus far, and consequently my relationship with her is different. I love them both, but Selah is definitely a Daddy's girl and Melody is a Mamma's girl.

As only daddies can fully understand, there is a joy that is felt when you come home and their little faces light up just because you are home. Melody is usually the first to reach me because she is vertical, and Selah is still on her hands and knees-- although she should be walking any day now. They want to stop what they are doing and run to me just to be with me. The exception to this would be when Melody is watching a video. She gets so entranced by it, she hardly acknowledges that I even entered the room (we are in the process of changing that).

I think our heavenly Father has the same desire for his kids as do we for ours, and yet we so often we get distracted with things that should not have our attention. God keeps us as the "apple of His eye," and by His Spirit we are able to cry "Abba, Father." The word "Abba" in scripture is different from the word Father. It is a more endearing word, similar to our words "papa" or "daddy." That is the relationship we can have with the Creator of the universe, and yet like my daughter's attachment to the video, we get attached to things that really have no worth.
Having my girls has also intensified my understanding of what is means that God sent His only son to demonstrate His love toward me, one of the vilest of all sinners (Rom. 5:8). I cannot begin to comprehend that fact. Many of us might dare to offer up our own lives for someone of importance, but how many of us would offer up the lives of those we cherish the most for someone who couldn't care less. And yet, that is exactly what God did. He longs for our affection, and we settle for counterfeits everyday. We should frequently revisit the often trivialized John 3:16. It truly captures the heart of our Abba.

Best wishes for safe holiday weekend!

No comments: