Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Hiding In Plain Sight

I recently read that the newly released hit Spiderman 3 has broken box-office records with its revenues it has generated. While I was unable to make my own contribution to the film-makers collection yet, I am sure I will frequent the silver screen in due time.

I grew up, like many boys, in the comic book scene. Superheroes were my thing. As I grew older, I realized that my childhood fantasies were more than just fun and games. Often, my friends and I would pretend to BE one of these characters. In my adolescent years this turned to fantasy-role playing games such as D&D and video-gaming.

The reality is that I had no hero in my life, and I definitely did not want to be who I was. I could get lost in day-dreaming of being someone special, with superhuman powers and good looks. I would hide in my fantasy world thinking that if I pretended to be someone else, I would not have to deal with the hurt and pain of what was real in my life.

As a pastor, it is now evident to me that this issue is still rampant and a core part of who we are as a society. Maybe you don't hide in a fantasy world of video gaming and super heroes, perhaps your hiding place was through addiction to sports, fashion or the pursuit of the finer things in life. And although we find a temporary cover in the experience or acquisition of things, it always seems to fall short and the lights come on and like cockroaches, we run scurrying for the darker corners lest we have to deal with the real "me."

Although I grew up in church and trusted Christ at a young age, sadly it wasn't until a few years ago that I actually learned who I really was... I am a child of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. That give me incredible worth. I do not not have to fight, kick and scream to make myself acceptable before God and man, because my sufficiency is found in Christ alone. He is not only my Savior, but he is my hero. And even though, I am still unable to walk on walls or shoot lasers out of my eyes, I cling to the one whose strength is perfected in my weakness (2 Cor. 12) he is my rescuer (Psalm 34:4-7). If you have forgotten who you are in Christ, I invite you to walk thru' the book of Ephesians and take note of all the times it He describes who you are "in Christ" or "in Him."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.