Friday, May 25, 2007

Lessons, Part 2

The lines had been clearly drawn. The decision had been made. This had been a repeated offense. The consequences were pre-established. We had walked this same path earlier this same day. Consistency had to be maintained. She would now have to face the music, once again, for the same crime.

After the verdict was declared and sentenced rendered. Melody looked up at me with her pleading eyes and cried, "But Daddy I'm sorry, I love you!" I was not expecting, however, that we would both be disciplined that day. Before I realized it, the words were out. "If you love me, don't just tell you're sorry, do what I told you." Ouch! Discipline had been administered. It still stings even though it has been over a year since. Christ told us His Spirit would remind us of things He has taught us. The only thing that didn't flash in my head was chapter and verse. John 14:21a "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me."

In my last post, I spoke of how one of the main reasons we continue to sin is our lack of true fear of God. Another is found here. How many times have I looked into my Father's eyes with tears streaming down my face from my guilt and said the same thing to Him, and He has reciprocated my response. Just like the familiar scenario described above, my Father longs not to just hear the words, "I am sorry," but to see my actions to prove it. To repent means to turn and go the other way. But often, rather, for me it means, stop, cry a little in regret that I got caught, and do it again later. A study in 1 John reveals some awesome truths on this matter. We learn that as we grow in our faith, it doesn't mean that we are sinless, but rather that we sin less.

Father, oh that we would demonstrate our love to You, by doing what you tell us and sin less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch is right!