Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Walking with the Good Shepherd, pt 6

"Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." (vs. 6)

Every time I read these words it conjures a memory of my grandmother singing one of her favorite hymns. In my childlike understanding, I always thought she was just paranoid of being followed by two people named Shirley Goodness and Lovey (I was a Gilligan's Island fan) Kindness. But as I have matured, I have come to a growing understanding of the richness of David's words here.

This verse is the culmination of verses 1-5. It describes the result of walking with the Good Shepherd. A Shepherd that is Soveriegn God, that is our Provider, our Comforter, our Protector, our Instructor who disciplines us, our Servant and Healer... when we walk with the Good Shepherd, we have the evidence of goodness of lovingkindness as fruit in our lives, but the verbiage here describes so much more. This goodness and lovingkindness is personified. The words "will follow me" shows that David is not saying just that we will develop these qualities, but that the One who embodies these traits PURSUES us. Our Good Shepherd, so longs to be with us that He pursues us! Often, I hear of people say they "found the Lord." But if we read this right, the opposite is closer to truth. He was always pursuing us.

A few weeks ago, my girls and I decided to wash mommy's car. I fixed Melody and Selah a bucket for them and a bucket for me. By the end of the washing, they were wanting to dip their rags into my bucket. They wanted to be with me, everywhere I scrubbed they wanted to scrub, every time I dipped into the bucket they wanted to dip. They demonstrated exactly what the Good Shepherd longs for from me, He wants me to go and do whatever and wherever He is. To dwell in His presence forever. That's not just a heaven bound thing, but it is a now and forever thing.

Lord, thank you for pursuing me all the days of my life.

No comments: