Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Walking with the Good Shepherd, pt 4

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." (vs. 4)
Right off the bat, this verse affirms the same thing Christ stated that in this life, trouble is guaranteed. The verse begins with "...even though..." not "in the unlikely event." My own life has been wrought with trials, testings, and downright irritations-- be that from people or circumstances. I meet person after person that longs for a life this side of heaven that was never promised by our Lord. The first person I meet is the guy in the mirror each morning. I have the audacity to think that I should live a privileged life free from harm and free from trouble. That is a lie. Truth be known, as much as I moan and complain in the throes of discomfort, I have grown more during those times than any cushy period of my life.
The other things I notice when I look at this verse is first, that I "walk through." That gives me hope; this valley is not my destination, but rather a thoroughfare. Why? Because it is but a shadow, not the real thing. If we are in Christ, we have life. He is the resurrection and the life! The second thing I notice is that "I fear no evil." Why is that? The Psalmist tells the Lord that it is because "You are with me." Remember who that "You" is? The Lord, our Shepherd, our Provider, our Comforter. This same Lord is our Protector. David records in others Psalms that He is our fortress, and our shield. He is the One with me. Why is it, in spite of God's track record, that never seems to be enough for me? Maybe I am the only one with that problem.
Next, with what does our Good Shepherd protect and comfort us? The rod and the staff. Is David being redundant? Rod AND staff? What's the deal? Well, here's the deal. The shepherd's rod is a twofold instrument. It is a short handled stick often described with a knobby end on it. It can be used as a close range weapon and a long range weapon. But here's the catch, this weapon can be used against enemies of the flock, or on wayward flock as well. God's discipline can be very comforting. God lays out His boundaries, and when we get into dangerous territory, he sometimes whacks (note: "whack" is not in the original text) us back on the path. (cf. Heb. 5:8)
Not only does he whack us when we need it, he also, uses the staff. The shepherd's staff is the traditional instrument most of us are familiar with-- the long pole with a hook on the end. That hook, is what I would call the "grace hook." That is when we have disobeyed and gotten off the path disregarding the chastisement (whacking) and in need of rescue and in need of grace. The Good Shepherd, doesn't leave us to the elements nor predators, but rather, leaves the 99 for the 1. That's His heart. He left the privilege of heaven for the peril of earth, all to go after those of us sheep that have gone astray. Have you gone astray? Perhaps you are in the midst of some whacking. Maybe you should stop and re-evaluate the path you are on. The Good Shepherd is there to comfort and protect.

No comments: