Thursday, June 4, 2009

Walking with the Good Shepherd, pt 2

So, if we shall not be in want or shall not lack anything, what kinds of things is David writing about? I think He captures in verse two the heart of what God desires for us. "He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters." The first part of this verse talks of God causing us to rest, not just in pastures, but green pastures, some Bible versions use the word "lush." God desires not just a restless night, but desires that we experience peaceful refreshment. But where does this come from? Is it posh surroundings, deluxe accommodations and a sleep-number bed? I don't think so. God Himself is our supply. It comes from resting in Him. He is the green pasture.

Look back at John 10, verse 9. Jesus describes Himself as the door. What ever comes at us, must first go through Him! That gives me incredible peace of mind, and no pricey mattress can offer that-- regardless of what the adds say. Ever wonder why so many of us have trouble sleeping at night? We, and I do include myself, too often allow ourselves to not rest in the fact that Christ Himself is at the doorway of the sheep fold.

The next part of the verse reinforces this. He leads me beside quiet waters. Life apart from Christ is a rushing river and to step into it without His leading can destroy us. His leading, rather, is beside quiet, calming, peaceful waters. Waters that refresh. Waters that are clear and pure. You see, God has our best in mind. Contrary to cultural norms, we don't achieve this through having no pain and all comfort. We get this by abiding in Him, hearing His voice, and following him. I am just as guilty as anyone. I pursue things that are counterfeits and don't satisfy. David wrote in Psalm 37, that is when our delight is in the LORD, He gives us the desires of our heart. Again, David uses YHWH here for LORD.

Are you resting well? My prescription is to take a nap in a lush pasture beside quiet waters of the peace of God. Then, call upon the LORD in the morning.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I am continually amazed at your insights and proud of how you have grown. I hope we will both be able to sleep well tonight trusting in God's goodness.

jhh said...

As Samuel Johnson said, "People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed." Thanks for the insightful reminders--all my life I have needed and will need to be reminded to rest in Him.