Monday, November 3, 2008

This Little Light of Mine...

This weekend, we went shopping in Arlington with our exchange student. I prefer to avoid malls on the weekend as I tend to be a introvert and avoid large crowds. This weekend was no different, and yet for some reason, I had my discernment turned way up. When I am in large gatherings, I like to watch people. I look at the way folks are dressed, what they do in groups, what they do by themselves, the language they use, etc. I was just overcome with the lost-ness and emptiness I saw in their eyes. It has been said by someone that the eyes are the window to the soul. I guess I saw this this weekend. My heart was broken over the despair that I saw.

It reminded me of when Christ had the same experience in Matthew 9:35-36. "Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness. Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd."

At the same time, I felt overwhelmed by the vastness of the need. I mean, what can I do? Sometimes we just need to be reminded that there are masses of folks that are just trying to survive wandering in darkness. We are the light of the world. Even the smallest light can make a difference. Let your light shine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said!
I almost didn't recognize you in your new photo...all you need is a set of bongos!!! ha ha ha
Love ya bro'
Steve Shaw