Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dash of Salt

In 2 Timothy, chapter 3, Paul writes this instruction to his young protege, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." Do you believe that? I say I do, but often times I find myself skimming through certain obscure passages missing what God has recorded for us. I just get lazy not wanting to mine the truths that are found in the genealogies, salutations and conclusions. And yet, this is God's word, and in the Greek the word "ALL" does mean "ALL." Well, God recently caught my attention with one of those obscure passages as I was finishing a quick reading through Paul's letter to the Colossian church.

In Colossians 4:7-18, Paul writes a handful of parting comments. I found myself zeroing in on the names and ways that Paul described these people. We really know very little about these people beyond what Paul wrote, but I found myself asking, when I am gone, will my life make such an impact that someone would say something like this of me. Here are just a couple of the things written about these "Nobodies":

1. Tychicus was a "beloved brother," a "faithful servant" and a "fellow bond-servant in the Lord"

2. Epaphras was a "bondslave of Jesus Christ" who had a reputation for "laboring earnestly" for others in prayer.

I was convicted deeply. Were these traits that would be said of me when I am gone in the pages of time? I think more than anything I want to be remembered as one who drew others to Christ. Someone once observed, while reading tombstones, that many focus on the start and end dates but we forget it's the dash in between that represents our life. I want to be a dash of salt.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You and Jill were and still are very influential on Adam and I and many others as well. You guys befriended us at a very critical time. We were at a weak and you always helped us to keep our focus. I know God led us all together for that reason. We so easly could have gone the opposite direction, but with you guys as friends, God steered us back on the right path. For that we will always be grateful!

The Toneman said...

Thank you Jen! It has been such a joy to watch what God has done in your lives. And He is not done with any of us yet! Amazing that we have known each other for almsot a decade now huh?