Wednesday, June 6, 2007

We Made Our Beds

I have spent a lot of extra time reviewing Old Testament passages lately. I don't know if you have you ever noticed how many parallels there are of America and the nation of Israel therein? I see America written all over the book of Judges. My current study through the exilic period holds true as well. Perhaps part of it is because people are sinners wherever or whenever you are. But also, it is curious when you consider the likeness in self perception. America has long held itself up as the chosen nation, what with Democracy and all. Yet, like many nations and cultures in the past, we fail to learn from the past generations. We then wonder why things are as bad as they are. Here is a snippet of what I read today in Zechariah, chapter 1,
"1 In the eighth month of the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came to the prophet Zechariah son of Berekiah, the son of Iddo:
2 "The LORD was very angry with your forefathers. 3 Therefore tell the people: This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Return to me,' declares the LORD Almighty, 'and I will return to you,' says the LORD Almighty. 4 Do not be like your forefathers, to whom the earlier prophets proclaimed: This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Turn from your evil ways and your evil practices.' But they would not listen or pay attention to me, declares the LORD. 5 Where are your forefathers now? And the prophets, do they live forever? 6 But did not my words and my decrees, which I commanded my servants the prophets, overtake your forefathers? "Then they repented and said, 'The LORD Almighty has done to us what our ways and practices deserve, just as he determined to do.'"

3 comments:

Dr. Garrett Starr said...

I have been studying through Zechariah for the last several weeks and things get even more interesting in later chapters. Keep reading!

cookiehawk77 said...

Exilic... sounds exciting! Until you realize what it means! Yep, we Americans are a haughty bunch. Makes me wonder when and how God is going to humble us.

XtnYoda said...

There are three great crisis every successful nation faces.
1-The crisis for independence.
2-The crisis for fiscal stability.
3-The crisis of prosperity.
No nation has ever survived the third crisis. May we learn to control our prosperity and not be ruined by it.

XtnYoda Shalomed