Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's Day

Due to a hectic schedule my blogs have been sporadic lately, and they still promise the same for the next few days as I shift back into a more normal ritual. Though my times in the Word have been rich, as I sat down to blog, I wasn't really sure what to write on until after I was catching up reading a friend's blog. He was reminiscing of times of old with his brother and hearing his father's whistle. His words painted pictures in my mind. Not just because his words are so craftily woven, but because they cry out to a heart full of dreams that were never realized. That of adventures with a faithful companion who is your brother. Cheerful memories of a loving father's discipline and instruction. I am truly grateful that I know people that had the blessing of an earthly father, one who taught them how to shoot, fish, play ball, and and maybe even how to walk with the Lord.

However, my own childhood memories were a far cry from those images. For the better part of my life, I sought those things. I longed for those things. Sometimes to the point of putting unfair and even unspoken expectations on men that I knew. Dad died when I was seven, and when he did I was left to a house full of girls. My closest friends' growing up were poster children of the dysfunctional. Many of you also, fall into the category of being fatherless. Perhaps yours was alive, but you were separated by a divorce, some kind of abuse, abandonment, or just neglect.

And yet, in all of my searching on earth, I was left disappointed time and time again. I tried to hide my pain in a fantasy world make-believing I was someone good-looking, strong, smart and even superhuman. Much of this carried well into my adult life.

Yesterday, I celebrated my fourth Father's Day, and in addition to being blessed with two beautiful girls, I was once again reminded of a truth that God gives me again and again. Even in my reading through Malachi this morning. It was something I learned only a few years ago. The Bible, especially the Old Testament is full of expressions of God's heart of compassion for the fatherless. My favorite is that He is a "father to the fatherless."

Once I realized this truth, it set me free from the prison of regret. I began leaning on my true Father. One who will never leave or disappoint me. So, even though, I cannot recall boyhood memories of doing "father-son" things with my dad, I know without a shadow of a doubt, that those memories are yet to be made. When I will walk hand in hand in the cool of the day in heaven with my heavenly Father who loves me. The awesome thing about God is that He is big enough to be a Father to all of the fatherless. I am often comforted by Paul's words in describing of what we as children of God partake.

"Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."" - Galatians 4:6

In the greek, the word, "Abba" is different from Father, it means Papa or Daddy. I hope you too have found the joy of crawling up into Abba's lap as I have.

1 comment:

Dr. Garrett Starr said...

Good words, my friend. Thanks for posting.