Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Peace, Be Still

Thomas Kelly wrote, "People nowadays take time far more seriously than eternity." As I reflect on the conversations I have with people, it seems the pace of life seems to increase almost daily. Now, I do not live in the metroplex, and so much of the hurried-ness I experience pales in comparison to that which those who live there subject themselves.

Over the past few decades with the advances in technology, we have seen an increase in what John Ortberg, in his book The Life You've Always Wanted, calls "Hurry Sickness." It is funny to me, because I still remember hearing ads about how certain gizmos would increase your time, but in fact, it has just opened up slots of time in order to fill them with more things. The result is families and societies that are falling apart.

This not only affects our world, but it begins with our spiriutal lives. Ortberg states, "The great danger is not that we will renounce our faith, but settle for a mediocre version of it." Perhaps this is why the Father tells us to "be still and know that I am God."(Psalm 46). Jesus who was always in step with His Father's will, knew that was a result of getting away. "But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." (Luke 5:16).

If Jesus in His vast ministry felt it necessary to withdraw, why do we think we can do it more efficiently without it. I know when I do not withdraw, my life just seems to collapse on itself, because the foundation is no longer there. So, we must take time to be still. Ortberg suggests that we adopt the practice of "slowing." He even suggests that we can do some practical things to begin training ourselves in that discipline. This includes things like intentionally getting in the longest line at the grocery store or driving in the slowest lane in traffic. Try it, if it is a real stretch for you, you may really need to do more research into this discipline.

So, stop reading this blog, and get by yourself and be still. It will be difficult slowing down your brain for a period of time. It is for me anyway, but try, and it can refresh your soul. The tyranny of the urgent will be there when you get back.

2 comments:

Dr. Garrett Starr said...

I wish you would have made your point faster. I don't have time to sit here and read and read and read until you land at an application. Hurry up!

Anonymous said...

Yeh that makes two of us! Hurry up already. Russ