Monday, April 13, 2009

In EVERYTHING...

As I finished off my breakfast this morning, I looked up and saw the trash can that was in need of attention-- as this morning was the day for curbside collection. I stared at it for a moment and was suddenly struck with a verse of which the Spirit reminded me. "...in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thes. 5:18) Why on earth did the Lord give me that verse at that moment? Am I supposed to be thankful for a full trash can? Being a little dense, it took me a few minutes of meditation for the tho't to finally click as I drove to work.

Having a full trash can means that we have had an abundance of trash which included food (and Easter candy) and other "necessity" wrappers... so I thanked God for being my provider. I was then reminded in a rush of many things that I take for granted, or worse complain about, that are actually blessings. I thanked Him for dirty clothes in the hamper that meant I have more than one pair of clothes to wear. I thanked Him for furniture that needed dusting as it meant that we had places to sit on and unmade beds that meant we had warm places to sleep. I thanked Him for a noisy house which meant my children are healthy and loved.

When I arrived at work, I looked up the verse and confirmed what I already knew. The word "everything" in the Greek means... can you guess... everything! We are so blessed in so many ways that we take for granted.

Lord, please forgive me for not giving you thanks for EVERYTHING, even when the road is marked with suffering. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

The last part of the verse, tells us that this is the will of the Lord. Why is that? Well, I was reminded that the world does not revolve around my comfort or my vain pursuit of heaven on earth. It ain't gonna happen on this side of the millenial kingdom. It gives us the right perspective on life.

P.S. Oh yes, thank you Lord for the wonderful wife that takes care of so many of the things that I complained about!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I was blessed to find your blog as I was hunting for quotes to use on my own upcoming post on the spiritual starvation of the American churches (and the flipside of gluttony) I am going to quote and give a link to your piece on Overcoming Spiritual Gluttony.

But I also wanted to comment on this post of yours on giving thanks. God is so amazing the way He will drop a "random " thought into our day and then haunt us with it as we live out its hours!

May God bless you, my brother in blogging, for your faithfulness to the still small voice.