Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How Do You Respond?

Having spent most of the last 2 decades of time in youth, children, and family ministry, I have established a few hard convictions. One of those, is that my primary role as a parent is to teach my children to obey (Ex.20:12; Eph 6:1-2). So, like many parents, I have my own phrases and looks that communicate a certain expectation from my kids that even my almost 3 yr old understands.

One of these comes in the form of a question, "How do you respond?" And at this stage in life their expected response is "yes Daddy/Mommy" and do it. Because of their current maturity level, we do not give them much choice in the matters. Our expectation at this point in life is compliance. Of course, as they age, we will allow for interaction as to the "why," but still expect obedience. Their motivation for obedience right now is extrinsic, but eventually, we desire for the motivation to become intrinsic. As I continue to think about what God is teaching me in what I am reading, one of the things I keep noticing about Ezekiel's response, as well as, the vast majority of God's prophets, to God's commands is, "Yes, LORD" and do it.

Think about some of these things God has asked these people to do: sacrifice an only and long awaited son; lead a couple million people out of Egypt and into a new land filled with hostile people; leave business and family and follow former carpenter turned itinerant preacher. Each one of these were blessed and held in high regard by God (see Hebrews 11 for a Cliff Notes list of these). Jesus Christ is the ultimate example to follow. He, though perfect and blameless, was told to do die a gruesome death and take on the punishment of the sins of the world, and his response, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will" or "Yes, Daddy" and did it.

I find myself asking what is it that God has asked me to do today, and then He asks, How do you respond? "Yes, Father and do it?" My life is not my own, I have been bought with a price.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

That is a great analogy! I appreciate your insights.