Thursday, April 2, 2009

Galactic Discovery

I am in a house full of girls. My wife, my two daughters and the exchange student that lives with us. I grew up in a house full of girls (my mom, 3 sisters, and a grandmother). I have been outnumbered all my life in this way, and so I can confidently say I know my way around in the mall. It is not only because I have been there a "bajillion" times with these females, but also because of a fixture that I personally believe was placed there by a female... the directory. I am confident that a female placed this item in the mall because we men never ask for directions. So one time while I was waiting for my wife to finish trying on shoes, I needed something to do. So, I read the directory... I have read many and they all have one thing in common... a little arrow or man on the map with the words, "You are Here."

This morning, I was reading a friend's blog who finds the coolest websites. He posted a link to this sight and it was all photos and info taken from space of galaxies and other space phenomenon. And lo and behold, I found this picture! Hmm... okay, so maybe I altered the pic a little, but given what I have been reading in the Word, it just fit well.

The book of Ezekiel is just weird to me. Some of you Old Testament scholars may eat it up, but so much of the things God asks Ezekiel to do are just foreign to my 21st century brain. And yet, one truth keeps popping up over and over again that I think is very appropriate for us today. He communicates this in two very common phrases, "'This is what the Sovereign LORD says..." and "know that I am the LORD.'"

You see, after almost 30 chapters, God keeps telling Ezekiel to give the people of Israel these graphic images of what He is and will be doing in their near future. After the imagery is drawn, God says these phrases over and over again. I think He does this, because like us they thought they were the center of the Universe, and God is telling us all, "Ah, NO! I am Sovereign." He is God, he is in charge. You would think, as a pastor, I would have this one down, but I still always have to be reminded of this truth. My nature and all of culture is always trying to tell me that I am the center of the universe. But that is just not true. Just look around, and God will reveal Himself that He is in fact in charge.

"...because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:19-20

No comments: