Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Don't Come Empty Handed

Have you ever come to a party that was given in someone's honor, and when you arrived everyone but you is carrying presents? It is a feeling that can only be described as shame and embarrassment. Yes, you have the honor of having been invited, and yes you can wish the person well, but when you are empty-handed, you miss out on the joy of showering this person with gifts to whom honor is deserved.

I recently began reading the Revelation of John the Apostle. It has been a while and since I have been reading John's gospel and epistles, I decided to spend some more time with the Lord's earthly best friend. Beginning in chapter 4, there is a description of the throne room of heaven that defies the imagination. It is obvious that John struggles to adequately describe what he sees, as the beauty is just amazing.

In verse 4, he mentions that the throne of God is surrounded by 24 other thrones, and seated on those were 24 elders, whom I believe to be or represent the 12 Apostles and 12 tribes of Israel. These Elders were all wearing crowns. The bible uses two different words that we translate as "crown" John uses the Greek word "stephanos" for these crowns. A stephanos is a wreath-like crown used to honor one for their victory or accomplishment- much like the medals we see being given in the Olympics. These are crowns that are described in passages like 2 Timothy 4:8 that the saints are rewarded with for their obedience and faithfulness. These Elders then take these crowns that they earned with their lives, and then lay them at the feet of the One seated at the throne in the center.

In our society, culture tells us, "hey, you deserve the best!" or "you worked hard for it; treat yourself!" This picture is opposite. Here are those who suffered and died and followed Christ, and yet they are laying their crowns at the feet of the Lamb. John hears the words, “Worthy is the lamb who was killed to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and praise!” (Rev. 5:12)

I was then convicted by these thoughts. How often do I do things for my own pleasure and reward? When I do obey, is my motivation for His ultimate glory or my own. Scripture teaches that when our motives for obedience are impure, we get our reward here on earth and will have nothing to lay at His feet. When I stand before this King of kings, will I be empty handed or will I have gifts to express my gratitude for how He saved me? He definitely deserves it, and after all, it is His party!

1 comment:

Dr. Garrett Starr said...

Good post. It reminded me of this verse: "But King David said to Ornan, 'No, but I will surely buy it for the full price; for I will not take what is yours for the LORD, or offer a burnt offering which costs me nothing.'" 1 Chronicles 21:24