Monday, July 21, 2008

Pucker Up

In past posts, I have written about how we must know the Word, and know it well. Over the years I have been a part of some really awesome teaching churches, and I attended a seminary that is world renown for it's instruction on the exposition of the scriptures. God's word itself teaches us clearly that we are to grow in our knowledge and understanding of it, in fact, the writer of the book of Hebrews scolds his readers that they still were only babes needing the milk of the Word instead of the meat, and he tells them to grow up in their faith. (cf. Hebrews 5:11-6:3)

Unfortunately, this true teaching has become a stumbling block for some in sharing the gospel with those around them. I see three errors that has resulted: 1. they don't share because they, "don't know as much theology as those who are educated"; 2. the other extreme, they share too much and go too deep into theological issues and confuse the hearer; or 3. they have such a pre-packaged "1...2...3..." approach to sharing the gospel that it becomes mechanical and disingenuous. I think most of the time, instead, we should use the K.I.S.S. method in sharing the gospel: Keep It Simple Silly!

I was reading in John 6 this morning, and it gives a great example of this. Jesus heals the man born blind from birth, and his followers try to make it a deeply doctrinal issue by asking who sinned the man or his parents. Christ cuts to the chase and tells them it isn't about that stuff, but rather, so that God can be glorified. Later in the passage, the Pharisees in their interrogations of the former blind ask him theological questions about his Healer, and he too cuts to the chase and says this, "Whether He is a sinner, I do not know; one thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see." He simply shared what Christ had done for him.

When sharing the gospel, one of the most important elements we need to share is not just the doctrine and theology, which is powerful in itself, but we must share what Christ has done in our lives. Our personal experiences can be powerful, and we are to be witnesses, but in order to be a witness we must bear witness of what He has done in OUR lives, not just the facts.

So, keep studying, keep preparing so that you may be ready to give an answer, but don't wait till you have all the answers. Read and grow in the Word. Share what you know. Pucker up and keep it simple silly!

1 comment:

cookiehawk77 said...

I have been through several evangelism courses that taught various methods of sharing the gospel with others. I always felt stressed over having to memorize the steps and verses. However, after working with my children to learn Awana verses, I realized I had learned all those salvation verses & terms backwards & forwards and I no longer needed a tool -- because I had God's word in my memory and my understanding, in words a third grader could easily grasp. It was so freeing!