Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What's Your Legacy?

This weekend, as we returned from our retreat, Jill & I passed this sign on the road home, and I couldn't help but stop and snap a picture. It had "blog about me written all over it." This was a first for me. I have seen signs, plaques and banners all commemorating the legacy of someone who gave money, fought for a cause, led as an example of different things. This person, while I am sure was a pioneer in the field of environmental excellence, is being honored by having a landfill, of all things, named after them... hmmm...

Given the marriage retreat we just completed, it immediately caused me to remember one of the main things discussed in our sessions-- the legacy that we will leave. You see, everyone of us come from different family backgrounds, many unhealthy ones. Our culture screams at us that we use excuses to justify our being undisciplined and lazy in how we function as a family. Many folks at our retreat however, rejected this mindset, as Jill & I have already done, drove a stake in the ground and decided that they would break the cycle of an ungodly heritage.

Joshua, as he led the people into conquering the Promised Land, challenged the people with this, "'Now, therefore, fear the LORD and serve Him in sincerity and truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:14-15)

Joshua drew a line in the sand. Perhaps you had a childhood that was filled with abuse, neglect or just worldly, and God has given you a family of your own. You get to choose, are you going to follow in your parents footsteps, or will you choose to serve the Lord. I can say with confidence, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. The line is drawn for you, what is your legacy going to be?

No comments: