Friday, April 11, 2008

A Tale of Two Dorothy’s

Yesterday, I found myself talking with Dorothy. Dorothy is my brother's-in-law grandmother. A sweet woman of 80+ who lost her husband of 60+ years several months ago. I pray that the Lord would grant me life that long with Jill. We are almost at 20 years together and I cannot imagine life without her. And yet, as I listened to Dorothy share her pain of missing her beloved, she said something that struck a cord with me. She told me that she longer wanted to live since her partner was gone and yet the Lord wouldn't take her home yet. I think anything I would say to her would trivialize her pain, and yet there is something in her statement that I think most people struggle with. Why are we here?

I have lived long enough to witness hundreds, if not thousands, of people chase the answer to this question. In the old Billy Crystal movie, City Slickers, Billy’s character does this. He encounters an old cowboy who challenges him at the fiber of his being because he seems to have what he lacks- reason for living. Curly, the cowboy, tells him that he has to find his “ONE THING.” Some people try to find the one thing in people. They tie up their identity in their spouse, their kids or friends. For some, it’s stuff, they drive a new one, redecorate the old one and although it never satisfies, they continue to chase the lie. For others, it is their job or a cause. There is only one problem, what happens when, like Dorothy, it goes away? Well, for many they pine away the days wishing for what once was. Some, sadly enough, lose their will for living and go to unspeakable extremes to end the pain.

There is another woman I know named Dorothy. She too, only a year ago, lost her husband of almost 60 years. She misses him dearly. He was a pastor, and she was his partner in ministry. And yet, while she still feels the sting of his absence, she has made the decision to continue on in her life. She has a ministry to those who are shut in and cannot get out. She faithfully visits them and brings God’s love every week. She has figured out the ONE THING. She knows that one day she will stand again with her beloved never to be parted as they share eternity together.

So, what are we here for? Well, I believe the Apostle Paul speaks of this early in his letter to the Colossians. It is at the heart of his prayer for them. He prays that they, “may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.” (Col. 1:9-12)

If we cling to that which is temporary, we lose our purpose for living when it goes away. Notice I didn't say "if" it goes away, but "when" it goes away. I have experienced loss, both great and small. I have known betrayal and deep pain. I have known want, and while none of it is enjoyable, God is teaching me the lesson of contentment. For me, reason for living is simple and it cannot be taken away by anyone or anything. It is first, to know Christ, and then to make Him known. 2 Corinthians 5 explains this. God has reconciled us to Himself, and thereby given us the ministry of reconciling others to Him.

I love both Dorothy's dearly. They have lived long and loved well. Pray that Dorothy #1 remembers her reason for living. Pray that we all do.

No comments: