Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Aches and Pains


I am getting older.  This is somewhat a “duh” statement as the truth is, we all are.  I recently had my 43rd birthday.  By God’s grace, I have outlived my father, by grace I will live longer.  They say, with age comes maturity and wisdom, and, if we are attuning to God’s direction, this too is largely true.  But the other thing that comes with age is aches and pains.  The time in which it arrives is determined largely by how well we have taken care of these earthly vessels, but ultimately, all of our bodies will fail and begin to decay and with that come aches and pain.  Now there is an entire theology of suffering and God’s use of it in our individual lives.  However, as I was reading this morning, I was reminded of the spiritual lesson that God gives ALL of us who have sickness, pain or suffering—HOPE.  Look at what I mean,1 For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home [our earthly bodies] is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent we groan, longing to put on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. (2 Cor. 5:1-4, ESV)



Paul tells us that our aches and pains are reminders that we have a heavenly building awaiting us.  Our heavenly duds that we get to exchange when we take off our earthly clothes.  Every time I hurt, every time I get frustrated with the way our world is decaying, I am reminded of this one truth.  I have an new set of clothes awaiting me on the other side.  How do I know of sure?  Paul tells us in his next verse. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.” God gives His Spirit. (ESV)

So, how do we respond when we hurt, get sick or suffer?  He goes to say, So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.” (ESV)

So be encouraged.  Like the old Gospel song tells us, “This is not my home, I’m just a-passing through!”

No comments: