Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Cross Alone

It has been years since I sat down and blogged.  I don't know if this will be a comeback, or wishful thinking.  I find that since leaving our ministry in Vermont and begun at the Boys Ranch, our pace of life has quickened considerably.  Since blogging for me is a time consuming task, this is likely to be an occasional visitation.  Nevertheless, I felt prompted by the Holy Spirit to write this morning.  Perhaps this will encourage or challenge you today...

I recently finished my revisit to the book of Beginnings (Genesis), so I decided to walk through Paul's letters to the Corinthian church.  I have found that as I age, every time I reread a book of the Bible, it is like sitting down with an old friend and catching up on what has transpired since we last visited.  God's word never disappoints!  With an old friend, you revisit where you have been together, and then share what is new in life.  I experience the same with God's word.

I walked through the verses of Paul's typical and yet personal salutation to this collection of saints.  Then, I was reminded that Corinth was a place filled with petty divisions, like many churches still today.  This first division was centered around personalities-- nothing new under the sun there.  Then, Paul's response to this in verse 17 caught my eye, "For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." (1 Corinthians 1:17 ESV)

As a member of church staff for 2 decades, my mind immediately defaulted to the corporate application of this verse.  I thought of how often local churches rely on gimmicks and fads to reach people.  In so doing, they empty the cross of it's power (if that is possible) by learning to trust in the latest greatest scheme to "reach people" and build our religious empires.

But, then the Holy Spirit turned the table inward, once again, and I began to reflect on how, so often, I too rely on my own strength and ability rather than the power of the Cross.  Then, Paul gives such a powerful prescription for regaining that power in verse 26 and following,
"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:26-31 ESV)
I realize that every time I trust in my own strength or talent, I am shamed.  I am robbing God of the glory of the power that was used to save me.

Lord, forgive me when I function in my own strength.  Help me to consider my calling.  Thank you that you took this weak, foolish, low and despised man and made me Your child by Your grace, and Your grace alone.   Today, I will boast only in the Lord.  Amen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good word Tony. Thank you for taking the time to obey the prompting.

Unknown said...

Good word Tony. Thanks for obeying the prompting.

Unknown said...

Good word Tony. Thanks for obeying the prompting.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to blogland! I look forward to your insights and reflections!

Steve S.
Frisco