Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who's Got Your Back?

Recently, as elders and staff, we concluded a weekend retreat by forming a circle facing outward and praying together as a symbol that we have each others back. It was meaningful, and I cherish the time we had together as men leading the church where I serve. We, as the church, should do just that. However, if you have ever be on the receiving end of betrayal as I have, you learn that even the most trusted people can fail you or let you down. This week, I read a little verse that really jumped off the page at me as I had never read it before, but I love what it says:
"Then your light will break out like the dawn,
And your recovery will speedily spring forth;
And your righteousness will go before you;
The glory of the LORD will be your rear guard." (Isaiah 58:8)

The context of that verse is that God, through the prophet, just rebuked the Israelites for going through the motions of religion and that if they wanted to truly find what they seek, they needed to draw near to the LORD. Verse tells them (and us) that if we draw near to God, His glory will be our rear guard. We all need each other, there is no doubt, but when push comes to shove, who's got your back?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's exactly what I needed to hear...this morning I prayed about wanting to be a good mommy for my girls but that I can't do it in my strength. I need God's strength to be able to deal with the complex and the simple things of everyday life.
- Jill