Monday, February 25, 2008

Needing Eye Surgery

It has been a number of years now since I was first diagnosed with myopia. Myopia is defined in Wikipedia, as "a refractive defect of the eye in which collimated light produces image focus in front of the retina when accommodation is relaxed." Now before you begin prayer vigils for me and my "critical condition," let me assure you that I am going to make it. As a matter of fact, it is most likely that my condition will not result in my demise. For those of you, like myself, that are not as well versed in medical terminology (I had to look this stuff up)... I am nearsighted. In the most simplest of explanations, I can only see clearly when things are close. Much farther than a couple feet, I require corrective lenses, and until God gives me my glorified body or we can save the small fortune Lasik would require, I am doomed to wear eyeglasses.

I am, unfortunately, stricken with a spiritual myopic condition as well. I think most folks are, really. We can only see the here and now, and truth be known, we don't do so good with seeing up close and should have spiritual bifocals because what we see right now is pretty blurry too. I tend to see things most often from a very worldly perspective. I focus merely on what I think I see, but God's desire is that I begin to develop what I will call "forever eyes." I believe that when we receive Christ by faith, God gives us a new set of eyes. And, like getting new glasses, we must use them frequently in order to adjust to seeing with our new sight. If we used our forever eyes regularly, it would give us a tremendous amount of perspective on the here and now.

There's an old Alfred Brumley gospel song whose chorus sings:
"O Lord you know I have no friend like you
If Heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do?
The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

Too often, we spend our time looking at where we are now and trying to set up shop here on earth, but, like John Ortberg describes, that is as foolish as trying to redecorate a motel room when we are staying there-- this place is not our home. Oftentimes, I get discouraged because I focus on that which is temporary. But God wants me to fix my eyes on Jesus and on my eternal destiny. Listen to what God describes for us through his prophet Isaiah in chapter 65:

"For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind." (v.17)

Some versions translate the word "behold" as LOOK, SEE or even PAY ATTENTION. The chapter finishes with a vivid description of where our eternal perspective should be focus.

I especially like that way Eugene Peterson renders this passage in the Message. In this verse, he says, "All the earlier troubles, chaos, and pain are things of the past, to be forgotten." God has SO MUCH better in store for us. If only we could learn to use our "forever eyes" we would know exactly know what Paul was saying when he said, "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known."

Until then, I will be needing daily eye surgery.

No comments: