Friday, January 18, 2008

Peeking into the Windows of the Soul - pt. 2

Shortly, before noon on Wednesday, I got the news. One of our church members had stopped by the office asking, "Did they call you yet?" I inquired of who, and then he told me. The brother of a very well known Christian author and pastor lived in our little town, and he had died suddenly. He then said that "he" would mostly likely be doing the service and they were asking about doing the service at our church. I had read a number of "his" books. As a matter of fact, I first really heard about the Grace of God from "his" books. I owe a debt of gratitude to this man, as he had played a key role in my early spiritual growth.

Now I have met and been around a number of "famous" ministers, so this was not that different. The main exception was that I would be ministering to he and his family which I consider an honor. I didn't get on the phone an call all my friends, a few happen to call yesterday and asked what I was up to and I told them. Notoriety has not often meant much to me, especially those in the ministry. The widow called me later that afternoon and set up an appointment to come see me about arranging to use our church, and if I could help provide music.

When we met on Thursday, her eyes were still red from having been weeping off and on that morning. We walked through some of the details, and I spent the bulk of the afternoon beginning preparations for the service. I had other preparation that I needed to take care for Sunday and studying for bible studies I was teaching next week, but I put all that on hold to minister to this family.

As the day grew closer, this service, like many I have done in the past, consumed much of my time as I made myself available to this family. Serving a family during a time of crisis comes very easy for for me having experienced loss of loved ones several times myself. So, even though this man was not a member of our church, and even though this man was related to someone famous, I counted it a privilege to love on his family. These are the rare opportunities that we get to minister to folks we don't know, so putting my normal schedule on hold and laying aside my personal agenda really wasn't that hard. Both "he" and this family were gracious and appreciated our hospitality.

Friday morning before the funeral, as I have been reading a couple articles in Leadership Journal, it occurred to me that the Lord had a very important lesson for me to learn. He called to my memory the recent visit by the weary traveler, and how overly concerned I was with making my meeting that I didn't take much time to get to know and minister to this special visitor. I couldn't tell you where he was from or to where he was headed. It will be a long time before I forget look in his eyes.

It shamed me, and I began to weep as I realized that I was guilty of the sin of showing kind of preference spoken of in James 2:1-7. Do I feel that I was wrong in ministering to the grieving family, absolutely not. But I was not willing to even put my meeting on hold to minister to this visitor. This visitor, is one of those that Christ refers to as "the least of these." Too often we place a high value on those that are "normal" people or "famous" people at the cost of the least of these.

The truth is, the entire Bible speaks VERY clearly that one test of the authenticity of our faith shows it self in how we treat those who are true widows, orphans, the poor, those in prison. In one article I read, Brad Jersak makes an interesting statement, "I'd suggest that those we often regard as insignificant are not to be regarded as mere target groups of Christian charity, but rather, our mentors in the kingdom. They are guides to understanding God." I am not suggesting that we should open our homes and let anyone sleep there, nor would I say we should enable those who will not work by supporting their chemical addition. I am saying that we should seriously consider what our attitude is toward the least of these. I know I oftentimes lump them together, and thereby neglect an act of service that demonstrates how real my faith is. It is easy to judge people from afar, and throw money at the problem. It is another to get to know some of these and find out why they are where they are.

My challenge to you is simple. When God gives you opportunity, take time to peer into the windows of some one's soul. You never know, you could be entertaining an angel or you could get a glimpse in the kingdom of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though God grows us, I suspect that we'll be shocked at the Bema at the difference between what we thought was our best service and what Christ values the most. I appreciate you, brother.

Mike Messerli said...

great post. thanks....and like JH, I appreciate you, and look forward to some time together. When can I come over?