Wednesday, January 2, 2008

In Retrospect... the Future

Yesterday, as my family was on a short road trip, noticing the time, I turned on the radio to hear one of my favorite radio teachers, Dr. Charles "Chuck" Swindoll. One of the reasons I love listening to him is, aside from his finely-tuned gift for speaking and teaching God's word, he has a great sense of humor and is constantly telling of the hope and grace found in Christ. Seldom have I heard a broadcast that did not contain genuine laughter as he pokes fun at himself and life in general.

Yesterday, while in typical form, he shared something that provoked my thinking about where we are and from where we've come, and more importantly where we are heading. I respect Chuck's teaching because he is not a doom-and-gloom kind of person. I have had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions and believe that he is real and tends to be a glass-is-half-full kind of person. So, when he shares things like this, I really take it to heart. I would encourage your listening to this particular broadcast to hear it in its entirety. His words were so sobering to me, I took the time to transcribe what he said. I believe they are his own orginal thoughts as he did not mention any other source beyond his own decades of wisdom. I think he is right on the money as he speaks as one who has walked intimately with the Lord Jesus for scores of years. I pray that his words will challenge your thinking as they did mine, and give you a moment of consideration as to how you might step into the new year. . .

"The Erosion: What Children Have Lost"

"In the 1950’s, the kids lost their innocence. They were liberated from their parents by well paying jobs cars and lyrics in music that gave rise to a new term “the generation gap.”

"In the 1960’s, kids lost their authority. It was the decade of protest church state and parents were all called into question and found wanting. Their authority was rejected yet nothing ever replaced it.

"In the 1970’s, kids lost their love. It was a decade of “me-ism” dominated by hyphenated words beginning with “self.” Self-image, self-esteem, self-assertion. It made for a lonely world. Kids learned everything there was to know about sex, and forgot everything there was to know about love. No one had the nerve to tell them there was a difference.

"In the 1980’s kids lost their hope. Stripped of innocence, authority and love and plagued by the horror of a nuclear nightmare large and growing numbers of this generation stopped believing in the future.

"In the 1990’s, kids lost their power to reason. Less and less were they taught the basics of language, truth and logic, and they grew with the irrationality of a post modern world.

"In the new millennium, kids woke up and found out that somewhere in midst of all this change, they had lost their imagination. Violence and perversion entertained them till none could talk of killing innocence since none was innocent anymore. The slide into despair began early… decades ago. The lack of innocence which is in reality the lack of wonder has a direct bearing on hopelessness and evil. The loss of wonder sets the stage for cynicism, doubt and unbelief."

He goes on to share that our only hope for the future is Jesus Christ. As I look at the prospects for politcal leadership in the upcoming election, I find this tremedously reassuring. Where is your hope?

My Wishes for a Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Dr. Garrett Starr said...

Good word, man. Thanks for posting.

The Toneman said...

Chuck is the good man, I just heard it!