Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Good Night, Sleep Tight

For those of you that have read and followed my online musings you will have noticed an absence of blog entries, or at least a deviation from the consistency thereof once present. My work schedule has kept me incredibly busy... too busy. My physical body has been wrought with exhaustion from lack of sleep. Even though my body is physically tired, I often fell short in the necessary rest needed. Often times, I find myself up at night replaying the day's events or waking very early going over the tasks before me in the coming day. My mind does not settle, therefore, neither does my body. Sometimes it is worry that keeps me up (or wakes me up), often times however, it is simply a desire to be done with my list. My personality is task-oriented and so I tend to operate best in a context of completing the tasks I have begun. However, when tasks on my list are incomplete, it causes a restlessness within me that can affect my sleep. It is probably a good thing that I am not a farmer or rancher where tasks are seldom completed or at least they drag out for days.

I have, however, been teetering dangerously in a realm that is not healthy neither physically nor spiritually. I was reminded this morning of this as I read an exchange that took place between Moses and the LORD. The Hebrews had just completed the apostasy of the calf in Exodus 32. God is about to wipe them out, Moses pleads for them, and in chapter 33, God says that He would remove His presence from them and not go with them into the promised land. Again Moses pleads that God not remove His presence from His people. There in verse 14 I found my transgression. The LORD says, "My presence shall go with you, and I will give you REST."

The rebuke was strong. The sin is a common one especially found in those who serve vocationally in ministry. Although staying in the Word, I have been so wrapped up in doing "the work of the ministry" I have neglected to find rest in Him and just enjoying His presence. Psalm 4 and Psalm 62 reiterates that in God's presence and that alone do we find rest. Jesus offers the same counsel in Matthew 11.

Please bear with me in my repentance. Oh Lord, I have neglected your gift of rest by neglecting your presence. Please forgive me for not trusting in You alone and trying to go it alone. In the words of your servant I find my plea O Lord, "Then he said to Him, 'If Your presence does not go with us, do not lead us up from here. For how then can it be known that I have found favor in Your sight, I and Your people? Is it not by Your going with us, so that we, I and Your people, may be distinguished from all the other people who are upon the face of the earth?'" (Ex. 33:15-16) AMEN.

I pray that we all rest well tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good to hear that you are still kicking. I noticed the lack of postings. I've missed you brother.

Wade said...

Hello,

You don't know me but I've been lurking on your blog for a while now. I can't remember how I found your blog - I'm sure we have mutual friends somewhere.

Your comment today has pulled me out of the shadows because it reminded me of scripture I read during church service this past Sunday. It was one of those moments when you see something new is a passage you've read a hundred times before.

(I love those moments, by the way!)

It's the Luke 5 "I am willing" story where Jesus heals a man with leprosy. Vs. 15 says that the crowds followed Jesus kept asking him to heal them but, instead, Jesus withdrew to "lonely places and prayed."

This is what I wrote in the margin: "Jesus didn't allow the demands of his 'job' to come inbetween his time with God in prayer and rest."

Sounds like a good lesson for the both of us!

I enjoy your blog by the way!

Wade

The Toneman said...

Nice to meet you Wade, I perused your blog and didn't find any blog links that I recognized, but thanks for your comments. It is nice to know I don't just throw things out in space. Hope you are encouraged by what you read.