Monday, February 3, 2014

A Year in Review...

As I sit here this morning, still a little fuzzy form being up late with the guys to bring in the new year and not sleeping much after that due to a return of a nasty cold I have been fighting. I am praying that my coffee will soon kick in.  I find myself doing what most will do today, reflecting.  Funny, New Year's Day is not officially a "spiritual" holiday for the Christian per se; however, I find it to be one of my favorite holidays and deeply important to the life of the Christian.  It is a time to look back and remember.

I think it is extremely healthy in the life of the follower of Christ that we periodically stop and reflect on the journey that God has taken us on.  In fact, doing this is highly biblical and one of the most powerful disciplines that a Christian can exercise.  Countless times are followers exhorted to stop and remember all that God has done in the life of His people, both collectively and personally.  So often, we get caught us in the moment of pain and discomfort or joy and bliss and we forget to remember one important truths about God.

So, I have been doing that this morning.  I am amazed at how greatly God has moved in mine and my family's life this past year.  So, much has happened.  A year ago, we were deeply intrenched in ministry in Vermont, and finally feeling the groundwork take root.  We were thanking God for taking us through the harrowing experience of almost losing Timothy and Jill only weeks prior.  Unbeknownst, to us, we would be 2000 miles away working with boys and young men in a totally different ministry capacity.  I could go on and on, but really what I keep coming back to is this truth.  God is faithful.

He has been faithful to provide, love, encourage, uphold and grow us this past year.  We have seen and experienced so many things, and each experience and each conversation has helped to shape me more into His image.  I do not know what is in store for us this year.  But I can face it with confidence despite any cliffs or doomsday predictions, because God is faithful.  We can walk through tragedy and victory, because God is faithful.  We can say hello's and goodbye's, because God is faithful.  I read this earlier this week and found it very appropriate...


"...so that you are not lacking in any gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.  God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." - (1 Corinthians 1:7b-9)
So, remember, despite any uncertainty in life this year, that God is faithful.
Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Mike Messerli said...

Great post brother. I am so glad God has shown himself as faithful to you. What a blessing.