Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Names of God

If you have been in a Christian Bookstore, you, no doubt, at some time have seen some variation of a poster that has the various names of God.  Here is one of them.  I love this poster!  I can stare at this poster and just onder who God is. 

Our church is walking through the Experiencing God Bible study.  One thing we recently learned is that when God reveals His nature, reflected in His names, His purpose is not to create some pithy saying or plaque to hang on the wall.  Instead, what we know about God should build our faith in Him.  Faith does not come out of nothing.  Faith is birthed out of what we know about who God is-- both in His word, as well as, our experiences with Him.

Therefore, if I say that I believe that God is Almighty, and yet I have trouble trusting Him with my problems, do I really believe who He is?  If I say that is He is my Wonderful Counselor, but get depressed when the world comes crashing down on me, do I really believe who He is?  If I say He is Lord of Lords, and yet fight to maintain control of my own life, is He really my Lord?  As I look at the names of God, I am challenged to evaluate what I really believe.

And yet, He is merciful, and He is gracious.  He continues to reveal Himself to me and allow me the grace to grow in my love for Him.  In just a few days we celebrate one more demonstration of who He is... He is our Savior and our Redeemer.  Now, who do you believe He is?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.