Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Lifesongs - part 2

This past weekend, our church did had Christmas program. It wasn’t a large fancy production, just something simple to walk through the Christmas story in Word and in song. I got to sing one of my favorite Christmas carols as a solo, “O Holy Night.” I love this song. It is such a powerful song both musically and lyrically I still get goose bumps when I hear a powerful voice like Phelps sing it, especially when you know they understand the meaning. I especially love the second verse. It declares some of the most powerful truths. “Truly He taught us to love one another His law is love and His gospel is peace… Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother and in His name all oppression shall cease.”

I haven’t had the misfortune of spending any time in jail nor chains, but I have come to love freedom nonetheless. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.” (Rom. 8:2) We have been set free! That is tremendous reason to celebrate. “Let all that is within us praise His Holy name!!!!” He has taught us to love. That in a nutshell is the Christian life-- love God, love people.

What is within you? Is it bursting out in celebration to His Holy name or are we just celebrating with our leftovers? Christmas is a great time to start anew.

No comments: