Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It's Not About You

This past week as we travelled around in the metroplex, I kept seeing billboards with the phrase, "I am second." My father-in-law also mentioned the same to me. I found out that this is an online campaign promoting for putting God first in our life. The website is cool, and I found that I actually know some of these "famous" folks in the campaign videos, check it out! http://iamsecond.com/

After having found this website, I read in the Word this morning, something that caused me to think. I don't know about you, but I get barraged daily with the idea that life is all about me and my comfort. I see it in the media, and I see it in people's lives (especially driving on the freeway!) I must admit it is a daily struggle to keep that mindset at bay in my own life.

In the book of Acts, I was reading through Peter's sermon to the religious leaders, and something stood out to me in light of the "I am second" website. Look at chapters 3-4. When Peter speaks, notice what he says to the onlookers and to the leaders when he uses the word "YOU." "You disowned..."; "...asked that a murderer be released to you..."; "You killed the author of life..."; "...you crucified...". If it is all about "YOU" this shows what we would do if given the chance to encounter God himself. And yet, God is different.

Now, re-read the same passage, and note what he says God does: "...God raised him from the dead..."; "...God fulfilled what he had foretold..."; "...God to restore everything..." When I put my hands on anything, I just goof things up. But God, on the other hand, sets right everything we messed up and completes everything He begins.

Lord, give me the strength to keep You in the driver's seat of my life.

1 comment:

Mike Messerli said...

What are you doing in the metroplex without calling me?!!???

When you get back from the far east I want coffee and a full report, ok?