Monday, June 2, 2008

A Heavenly Preview

Jill & I are in the habit of previewing all the movies that our girls watch since there is so much garbage out there that teach a plethora of worldly messages. There is a movie that came out recently on DVD that I have been wondering about, so I rented it and previewed it this weekend. I am not sure of the intention, but not only did I find it to be pretty safe, but even saw some really cool lessons that I could use to teach about Christ.

The movie is Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. At first, I found the main character, Mr. Magorium, a little weird, but as the story unveils, I saw that one of the primary plots was about facing death. Magorium, played by Dustin Hoffman, knows he is about to die, and trying to get Maloney, played by Natalie Portman, prepared to take over the toy store. Maloney is a would-be concert pianist who is stuck writing her first concerto. And although everyone believes in here talent, she can't seem to break through and finish it. I don't want to ruin the story for you, but Maloney learns that she really comes alive once the one she believes in dies and she takes over his work. Not did she believe in herself, but did she believe in this mysterious man who brings toys to life. This immediately reminded me of the verse where Christ is foretelling of His own death and the life that results. "'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.'" John 12:24.

Unless we embrace who we are in Christ, we can never truly come alive to see all that we were created to be and do. If we do, wonderful things can happen! Enjoy the movie. I did.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

We enjoyed this movie too. Although I sure didn't think about the points you brought up...makes sense!