Monday, November 19, 2007

Kickin' Back...

Today, I begin the first week long vacation I have had in years. All vacation time I have experienced in recent years has been a day here two days there. That is okay, but I have to admit I found myself coveting that time that friends of mine that have taken one and two week vacations. Reading their blogs of fly-fishing in the Gotacatchabigun River or sailing across the glassy Lake Lazyday have only served to heighten my awareness of a desperate need to rest and recuperate physically, emotionally and spiritually.

This morning, I began my vacation time with a fine dining experience at Cafe Antoine. It was a hearty breakfast prepared by Chef Antoine himself! I had to wake the girls up in time for this breakfast catering because they were all sleeping later than normal. I then enjoyed a spa-like shower sensation, and am now settling in for some creative expression.

Okay, so, I am feeling a little delusional. In short, I made breakfast for my oversleeping girls, stood in my own shower for an extra five minutes, and now sit at a cluttered desk blogging. But I have savored every bit of it. I thoroughly enjoy cooking-- especially for others, lingering in the shower and not having to rush out the door away from my girls, and finally getting to be still long enough to record some of my thoughts on my blog. I imagine there will be much gibberish on here the next day or so as there is much pent up inside me that needs to come out. I will however try not to make you feel like you have experienced literary vomit.

In the next couple of days, we will be traveling to spend a couple days with my oldest sister in South Texas, where we will enjoy a long time family tradition of playing board or card games trying to make her wet herself from laughing so hard! I pray that you will enjoy some time away from the unimportant rush to nowhere that you too will drink deeply the life God has blessed you with. In the midst of the gluttony of food, sporting events, and bargain hunting, may you be able to be still and know that God is God.

Psalm 46:10a records this familiar verse. The NIV states it like this, "Be still, and know that I am God;" and that is powerful. But sometimes, I need to hear it like the NASB translates it, which as I understand is a more accurate rendering, "Cease striving and know that I am God." Ceasing striving means to not fighting against me. The Psalms are so therapeutic and refreshing. Listen to how Eugene Petersen describes this verse in the message, "Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything." That is what I am going to attempt to do this week. Take a step out of my high traffic life and know that God is God.

I hope to blog much in the next few days, perhaps multiple postings in a day. Or maybe not. There are few things I must do, and I will take my time in doing those. The rest I will take a wait and see attitude.

2 comments:

cookiehawk77 said...

I'm glad I'm not your sister... or maybe I wish I was! Have a wonderful and special family time -- both at home and away.

LittleBigSis said...

Cookiehawk -

I'm the big sister he's referring to, and I'm sorry to say that he succeeded. Even after all these years - knowing what to expect - he still makes me laugh. Of course, he had help from my sons - who also enjoy seeing their mother (aka his sister) lose control of her bladder through hysterical fits caused by (and your secret is out now Anthony) a planned mutiney attack on the eldest female of the family. Needless to say, family get togethers are always a hoot.

I did enjoy my time with my precious nieces, however, which made the wet drawers worth it all!!