Monday, October 1, 2007

Where's the Party?

I am not a real sentimental person, and haven't been for sometime. Most holidays, save anniversaries and birthdays, have been pretty nonchalant celebrations in our home. I really haven't been content with my stance on this, but haven't really known what to do about it. This morning, the Lord corrected my attitude on the matter, and I have begun reconsidering what to do about it.

In Leviticus 23, we see that the LORD instituted various festivals and celebrations that the Israelites were to follow, and each festival had specific days and things that were required. Without getting bogged down in following the Law, I began thinking about the LORD's intent behind the festivals-- He wanted them to remember. Really, that is why we have holidays. We have forgotten to remember.

I think the bulk of my response, or lack thereof, to holidays is rooted in rebellion to the over-commercialization of them and the focus on just the fun part of the holiday. Now, there is nothing wrong with having fun, but the reason we have holidays is to commemorate an event or person. I think we have lost the whole idea behind true celebration or memorial events and turned them into a time to eat a meal with our families and exchange gifts and allowed that to be an end in itself. It's not that those things are wrong, but it can't end there.

I am rethinking my attitude about holidays, and I may even come up with a few on my own, just special days that we as a family set aside to remember God's goodness or provision in our individual lives. I have thrown out the baby with the bathwater on the subject of holidays. It is should be a good thing to celebrate what God has done in our lives.

I am going to bake a cake, and I am gonna make a wish and blow out the candles and celebrate God's goodness. We're having a party, wanna come?

No comments: